General Surgeons, like any other physicians, complete undergraduate education with four years of medical school leading to the award of MD/DO degree.Thereafter they specialize in surgery by successfully completing a five-year surgery residency program. Following completion of a residency program, surgery residents can sit for the American Board of Surgery (ABS) exam.
Fellowship programs available to Surgeons are:
- Cardiothoracic Surgeon Salary $407,539
- Critical Care Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery $367,378
- Plastic Surgery $326,269
- Transplantation Surgery
- Vascular Surgery $329,557
- Surgery of the Hand
- Hospice and Palliative Medicine
Although fellows are trained in multiple organ transplant, they go on to specialize in mainly one of these organ transplatation:
1. Kidney $348,000
2. Liver $433,333
4. Heart $489,172
Stipends for surgical residents, like any other post MD/DO training are determined by the Office of Graduate Medical Education and are as follows for the 2011-2012 academic year:
After training the salary is good. The mean annual salary of board certified general surgeons is $231,550 and the mean hourly pay is $111.32.The salary, like all procedural specialty, at entry-level is less but with more than 3 years of experience it could reach or even surpass the mean.
Surgeon salary in Different Practice Settings, 2011
Offices of Physicians $241,060
Outpatient Care Centers $220,790
General Medical and Surgical Hospitals $204,970
Scientific Research and Development Services $246570
Colleges, Universities, and Professional Schools $155,740
Surgeon Salary by States, 2011
The higher the salary the greater the tax. Here is a sample tax rate for married couples filing jointly.
- The American Board of Medical Specialties. Guide to Physician Specialties. Evanston, IL: American Board of Medical Specialties; February 2008.
- American Board of Surgery
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor,Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2011.on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov
- American Medical Group Association
- Internal Revenue Service [Income Tax ]