There are four pathways to establish eligibility for ABTS certification exam. They are:
- The successful completion of a full residency in General Surgery( 5 years) approved by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), followed by the successful completion of an ACGME-approved Thoracic Surgery residency( 2 or 3 years).Successful completion of a 4/3 General Surgery/Thoracic Surgery Joint Training Program approved by the ACGME also fulfills the requirements .
- The successful completion of a full residency in General Surgery or Cardiac Surgery approved by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, followed by the successful completion of an ACGME-approved Thoracic Surgery residency.
- The successful completion of a six-year integrated Thoracic Surgery residency(recently introduced) developed along guidelines established by the TSDA and approved by the ACGME (RRC-TS). There are 14 such approved programs as of January 2011.
- The successful completion of an ACGME-approved Vascular Surgery residency that can lead to primary certification followed by the successful completion of an ACGME-approved Thoracic Surgery residency.
Cardiothoracic Surgeons Salary at an Academic Center
|PROFESSOR & CHAIRMAN||$710,500|
According to a 2003 survey, the cardiothoracic surgeon salary ranged from $196,000–496000. The america’s most famous cardiothoracic surgeon Dr. Oz, however, must be earning in millions.
Employment opportunities for a cardiothoracic surgeon are low. They struggle with finding job but once they get it they are highly paid. In a 2008 survey, 19.9 % of the graduates disagreed with recommending cardiothoracic surgery to potential trainee. One of the comments from a graduate was ““There are better job opportunities and financial salary packages for general surgery … . I think there will be a … shortage (of) CT surgeons in 5 to 10 years.”
The higher the salary the greater the tax. Here is a sample tax rate for married couples filing jointly.
1. American Association of Thoracic Surgery. http://aats.org/MSSR/
2. American Board of Thoracic Surgery. https://www.abts.org/sections/Definition_of_Thorac/index.aspx
3. The Texas Tribune http://www.texastribune.org/library/data/government-employee-salaries/the-university-of-texas-southwestern-medical-cente/departments/cardio-thoracic-surgery/11865/
4.Cooke DT, Kerendi F, Mettler BA et al.Update on cardiothoracic surgery resident job opportunities.Ann Thorac Surg. 2010 Jun;89(6):1853-8; discussion 1858-9.[Pubmed]
5.Salazar JD, Lee R, Wheatley GH 3rd, Doty JR.Are there enough jobs in cardiothoracic surgery? The thoracic surgery residents association job placement survey for finishing residents. Ann Thorac Surg. 2004 Nov;78(5):1523-7.[Pubmed]
6.Internal Revenue Service [Income Tax ]